Clark Memorial Home
A private, non-profit assisted living residence for senior women in
the Springfield community since 1899.
Charlotte Dilce Clark founded Clark Memorial Home to honor her son, L. Glenn Clark, who predeceased her. Charlotte was the daughter of Erastus and Margaret Dilce of Piqua, Ohio. Charlotte married John H. Clark, the son of Samuel and Hanna Clark. Charlotte and John had one son, L. Glenn Clark.
Shortly after John died in 1881, Charlotte moved to Arizona to live with Glenn and his wife until Glenn died of consumption on December 3, 1892. Now twice widowed and having lost her only child, Charlotte returned to Springfield in 1889.
Charlotte made her home in the large homestead located at 256 North Limestone Street which was left to her by John. In 1907, the address number was changed from 256 to 616 after street paving and other improvements warranted that the numbers be shifted.
L. Glenn Clark
Between rental income, monies left by her husbands, and a sum bequeathed by Glenn, Charlotte was a well-to-do widow. Unfortunately, she was alone and in her declining years of life. Charlotte wanted to make a memorial for her son and be guaranteed care in her old age.
Her intention was to deed her home to an organization which would care for others (following her specific guidelines) and which would allow her to live in a small section of the home. Along with the property, Charlotte planned to create an endowment fund for the home’s continued operations.
Charlotte fulfilled her charitable mission through an agreement with The Woman’s Christian Association (which later became the Y.W.C.A.). Extensive improvements were made to Charlotte’s home and it officially opened on November 16, 1899 with all 14 resident rooms occupied.
616 N. Limestone Street (1899 - 1960)
106 Kewbury Road
(1960 - Present)
Charlotte continued to live at the Home until she died there on June 26, 1908. She is buried next to her husband John and son Glenn in Ferncliff Cemetery.
When the home was turned over to the WCA, the WCA was entrusted with its management. The WCA continued to operate the home as its trustee until World War II when The Clark Memorial Home was incorporated under the laws of the State of Ohio. The Home was incorporated on May 2, 1944 with its own Board of Trustees which was comprised of local women who were actively engaged in the Home’s operations. The Home continues to be operated by a volunteer Board of Trustees.
In 1959, as community demand for admissions continued to increase and the Home’s residents required a facility which was designed for the elderly, the North Limestone Street property was sold. Construction of the Home’s current facility at 106 Kewbury Road was initiated. Construction was completed in December, 1960.
In 1974, Internal Revenue Service recognized the Home as an exempt organization within the meaning of 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. At that time, the Home was classified as a private foundation. The Home later changed its tax exempt status to one as a publicly supported organization.
On August 17, 2007, the Internal Revenue Service terminated the Home’s private foundation classification and, as a result, the Home became recognized exclusively for charitable purposes, as defined and limited in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, as amended. The Home is subject to the nonprofit corporation law of Ohio, as codified in Chapter 1702 of the Ohio Revised Code.
The Home has persevered through several wars (including the Philippine-American War, World Wars I and II, and modern conflicts), the Great Depression, and both natural and man-made disasters. Since its inception, the Home has continued its traditions of offering loving care and support to senior women and providing an invaluable amount of charity to the Springfield and Clark County Community.
On behalf of the Board of Trustees, our past, present and future residents, we express our sincere thanks and appreciation to the Springfield and Clark County Community for enabling the Home to prosper and uphold Charlotte’s charitable mission since 1899.